Sunday, August 5, 2007

Legg Mason: Women's singles final.

Today featured only three matches, so I'm going to post a trilogy of wrap-ups. As I mentioned earlier, I was very unhappy to see that the women's final was scheduled on the grandstand at the same time that the men's doubles final was occuring on center court. First of all, I think the women deserve better. Secondly, I can't be in two places at once! I much prefer how it was scheduled last year, with everything on center court starting with the doubles, then the men, then the women. People who didn't want to see the women could leave, and the rest of us stayed, and the women got to play on center court for the only time that week.

The final featured Melinda Czink (pronounced 'sink' by the chair) and Olga Savchuk. I had the opportunity to see Savchuk play earlier in the week, but this was my first look at Czink. A lefty from Hungary, she was a pretty even match for Savchuk. However, I found myself rooting for Savchuk when Czink had a few pouty moments, one of which resulted in her booting a ball at a ballkid's head. No apology. So not cool. When I left the match (to go see doubles) Czink was up a break. That was all she needed in either set as she took the title with a 7-5, 7-5 score.

Czink:









Savchuk:







No comments: