Friday, August 10, 2007

Montreal Quarterfinals

As expected, Federer advanced, beating Hewitt, but at least not beating him to death with bagels. Hewitt played well, just not as good as Federer.

Later we got to watch Roddick play Djokovic for their first meeting ever. As expected, it was a tight contest, with Djokovic coming out on top 7-6, 6-4. Roddick played well, just not as good as Djokovic.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for those players...to play well, to know that they played well, and to still be losing.(For them, bowing out in the quarters is losing. For others, that would be winning.) Federer has owned Roddick for the past few years, and now these younger players are coming out of the woodwork, and passing him (as well as Hewitt). And they both work hard, but maybe they have just 'topped out' as far as they can go? What do you do in that situation?

Me? I would keep playing...keep collecting my quarter-final checks and keep playing the game I love. And you never now, you might sneak in the back door someday when the Federers, Nadals, and Djokovics are having a bad day. Of course, that is easy to say from my seat...it might be different if I were in their shoes.

I'm staying up to watch Sharapova play Dementieva in the last LA quarterfinal. I'm pulling for Elena to come out with the upset. I'm so, so tired of Sharapova and her shrieking, and her ugly game.

No comments: